About the Program
This study program aims to train fitness instructors whose role is to promote physical activity and health, and are able to serve a varied clientele; collect relevant information; develop a training program based on the physical ability of the individual; implement and lead fitness activities; participate in the implementation of follow-up mechanisms on the clientele; promote health towards consumers.
The program aims to give the student the competency to work in this field, i.e. give the professional the means to properly carry out the tasks and activities associated with the profession with acceptable performance levels in an entry-level position in the workplace; promote the integration of the individual in professional life, namely through a knowledge of the workplace and the specific context of his profession; encourage life-long learning and furthering one’s professional knowledge; facilitate professional mobility by providing the individual, among others, career management tools.
Students graduating in Personal Fitness Training (JYC.08) will be well prepared to do the following:
- Analyze the work function of the “Fitness Instructor”.
- Acquire relevant knowledge on the anatomy to help make appropriate exercise choices based on the fitness level of the clientele.
- Link physiological mechanisms with needs to attain or maintain physical fitness.
- Use exercises that progressively call on various cardio, muscular and sensimotor abilities.
- Interpret information on some medical conditions with respect to a fitness program.
- Assess the abilities and needs of the clientele to attain or maintain a level of physical fitness.
- Develop multi-levelled fitness programs.
- Supervise the implementation of a program, an activity or an exercise class.
- Adapt a fitness program or activity according to any exercise-able clientele.
- Offer professional services.
- Lead in an aquatic setting a fitness program.
- Lead outdoors a fitness program or activity.
- Integrate into the labour market through an internship.